Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Rosary-
The Rosary is a traditional popular devotion in the roman catholoic church. The term denotes both a set of prayer beads used in the devotion and the devotional prayer itself, which combines vocal (or silent) prayer and meditation centered around sequences of reciting the Lord's Prayer followed by ten recitations of the "hail mary" prayer and a single recitation of "Glory be to the father"; each of these sequences is known as a decade.
The Rosary can be prayed in 4 parts, one part for each day, with the "Mysteries" (which are contemplated on during the prayers) being rotated daily.
What distinguishes the Rosary from other forms of prayer is thatit includes a series of meditations. Each decade of the Rosary is said while meditating on one of the "Mysteries" of redemption.

4 comments:

Andrea D. said...

I thought this peice was really interesting. i am catholic and i have never paid attention to the meaning beads. i never knew that they were considered "mysteries" I am really excited to finish reading your blog to see if there is anything else, i was un-aware of.

Adele said...

I found that this summary completely refreshed me memory of the different parts oft he rosary. I had forgotten how important the rosary is to the Roman Catholics and it was interesting to read that people may tend to meditate while using the rosary. great summary!

Judaism said...

I think it is really interesting to read about the history of the Rosary, I am not Catholic but my Grandpa was and his Rosary was really important to him, and now I really understand why it was so important to him.I didn't know that the Rosary was a prayer tooI only knew about the beads, so it was interesting to learn more about the history and meaning of the Rosary.

Hailey C.

Islam said...

This post was reallyl interesting to me. I have heard the term "rosary" before but had no idea what it was. Clearly its a pretty important part of the Catholic faith!

Caitlin M